Protecting the Heart of the Daintree Forever
Protecting the Heart of the Daintree: Last year we launched a campaign to create a nature conservation reserve on Lot 46 Cape Tribulation Rd in the Daintree.
Usually, when we identify important rainforest needing protection we ask for your help to purchase the property, however, in the case of Lot 46 we needed to act urgently to protect it. This meant we did something we hadn’t done before but believed was absolutely critical – we took out a bank loan to buy the property.
This immediately saved Lot 46 from developers, however, it prevents us from being able to protect it into perpetuity. Our campaign will create a Nature Reserve that will protect the 27.66 hectares of Lot 46, and the rainforest on it, forever.
Help us protect Lot 46 into perpetuity. Your support is protecting the heart of the Daintree.
What makes Lot 46 so special and worth saving?
- It’s of critical importance, in terms of habitat and connectivity, for the endangered cassowary and other species
- Surveys have recorded 14 rare, three endangered, and two vulnerable species
- It sits at the base of the spectacular Thornton Peak and provides an important link between the upland and lowland rainforest
- It supports an Endangered Regional Ecosystem
- Two important creeks (part of the catchment area for Cooper Creek – one of the larger Daintree lowland creeks) run through it
- It contains remnant forest with ecological transitions from rainforest to swamp forest
- The western boundary is Daintree National Park/World Heritage Area
Want more good Rainforest news in your life?
Help Protect Rainforests Forever