Daintree self-drive tour
The Daintree Rainforest is one of the most ecologically diverse ecosystems in the world, and one that is of international conservation importance.
While most of the Daintree Rainforest has been declared a World Heritage Area, area of coastal lowland tropical rainforest from the Daintree River to Cape Tribulation remain unprotected.
Rainforest Rescue’s Daintree Buy Back and Protect Forever Project identifies and purchases properties at risk of development and establishes Nature Refuge status to protect it forever. As you journey through the beautiful Daintree Rainforest we encourage you to visit our properties and trust you will be inspired by our efforts to save and protect this amazing ecosystem.
Tips for your tour
- Please drive carefully and adhere to the speed restrictions. This is an area rich in wildlife. Cassowaries can occasionally be seen crossing the roads.
- Rainforest Village at Cow Bay (14 km from the ferry) is the last available petrol station north of the Daintree River before Cooktown.
- Please don’t feed the animals including birds. For them to survive, it is important that they find and eat food from the rainforest.
- A trip from Cairns to Cape Tribulation is approximately 140 km or 2 ½ hours (each way). A full day is recommended to take in all our properties as well as extra sightseeing activities.
- We would love for you to share your Daintree experience with us. You can send us an email to email@example.com or post a comment on our Facebook page.
- For more information, please contact Rainforest Rescue
on 1300 763 611 or email us.